Friday, December 16, 2016

Why You Should Drop What You're Doing And Go For A Run Right This Second

My old running shoes - apparently you're not supposed to wait
until they are ripped and the tread's coming off for new ones. :D

One of the best feelings ever is taking the last step of an extremely intense run and collapsing into a stumbling walk with a grin stretched across your panting face. At least in my opinion. ;)

And I want to share that feeling, so today I thought I'd compile a list of perfectly solid reasons why everyone should start running right now. (You could also call it a list of why I love running so much.)


  1. It's good for you. This one's a no brainer.
  2. The end of a run always leaves you with a sense of accomplishment, if you let it. This morning, I really struggled to get up out of bed. I knew it was snowing. I knew it was cold. I knew it was dark. And I did not. Want. To. Run. But I made myself get up anyway and at the end, I couldn't stop smiling because I made myself do it.
  3. You get to have all those cool running things. Shoes, shorts, socks, apps, you name it! Plus, they make great rewards for meeting goals...
  4. You can slow down and take things in. Before anyone else gets up in the morning, the world is quiet and beautiful. Last Saturday, I got to see hot pink clouds dye the world a lighter pink as the sun rose. And the snowflakes dancing down in the dark this morning. It's a great time to pray and clear your head.
  5. Quality time with your dog - or brother. Our dog is old and fat now so...
  6. Your head is clear for the rest of the day. This one is not a complete guarantee but I have noticed that when I run, the rest of my day goes so much better. It's now one of the things I say to myself when my bed is warm and the alarm's going off: "You know your whole day is better when you run. So get up!"
  7. Instant hobby. Really, this one's pretty self explainatory too. It's something to do that's good for you.
  8. Time alone. I know this contradicts number 5, but every run's different. Sometimes, I go for an extra if something's driving me crazy. When you come back tired, it tends to be a lot harder to be upset.
  9. Great ideas magically appear. I get all sorts of new ideas for writing, cooking, school, anything, when I run. And it's totally random most of the time. I'll be thinking about how I wish more people left their Christmas lights on early in the morning, and then I have a new way to do something.
  10. Time for podcasts! I have a few podcasts I love to listen to and I don't really have a lot of time to do that at home. But I can download them and listen to them while I run. Entertainment during painful stretches and finishing up those podcasts you wanted to hear.
  11. Food. After a long run, you can seriously eat all day and still be hungry. Which means you can make cookies and still want to eat some after licking the bowl. I mean, ahem, eat apples and carrots and protein all day...not. ;)
There you go. Eleven whole reasons why you should go pull on your shoes and get out the door. Convinced?

-Kira

4 comments:

  1. Wow... you have actually convinced me to start running :P Just hope my knees hold out :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mission accomplished ;D Here's hoping!

      Delete
    2. :D I tried.... and then snow :P

      Delete
    3. I feel ya. We got probably 6-8 inches in the Smoky Mountains today and it's still going. I don't think I'll be running today... ;)

      Delete