Friday, June 23, 2017

The Bible is Incredible (Part 2)


A few weeks ago, I read Psalm 119 all the way through for what I think was the first time. To be honest, I had put it off for a few days because I knew it would take a while, but it turned out I was wrong to dread it. Almost immediately, I was blown away by the deep longing for righteousness and the Word of God expressed by David.

With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
Psalm 119:10-11

Just take those two verses for example. David is called a man after God's own heart, and this cry shows it to be true. While David was a great sinner (like the rest of us) his desire was to be like God in righteousness and goodness.

Behold, I long for your precepts; in your righteousness give me life!
Psalm 119:40

I underlined this verse as soon as I read it. When was the last time I desperately longed to read the Bible and know God's law?

I know, O Lord, that your rules are righteous, and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
Psalm 119:75

God doesn't give us trials just for the fun of it. He hurts for us (as shown by what He did on the cross). We are not put through hard times lightly. They are for God's glory, the ultimate purpose of our existence.

Your righteousness is righteous forever, and your law is true.
Psalm 119:142

Righteousness is not subjective, nor will it ever be. Right and wrong is not an opinion. It is fact and we can know it through Scripture.

My lips will pour forth praise, for you teach me your statutes.
Psalm 119:171

The only right response to what God has given us.



All that to say, the more I read of the Bible, the more amazing it is! It leaves me excited to learn more and see what else God has for me to learn. I hope it is the same for you.

-Kira

No comments:

Post a Comment