Friday, February 10, 2017

Write.


The perusal of the teen sections of our local libraries and bookstores has become increasingly depressing. Every third book is a convoluted romance and the ones in between contain vampires, violence, and poor writing.
What happened to all the good books?
I’ve always been an avid reader and realizing the depravity of the books offered to people my age was quite a shock. How am I supposed to find something good, clean, and wholesome to read in the midst of all of this - for lack of a better word - garbage?
Walking through the teen section of my library only renews my longing for something more. Why can’t anyone write something good for teenagers?
Wait a minute.
Why can’t I write something good for teenagers?
Writing is also a passion of mine and recently, I figured out why. I want to provide excellent things for people to read. I want not only excellent stories, but excellent characters, excellent words, and excellent morals.
I know the kind of book I want, so why don’t I write it? There are others like me out there - sick of the sin dripping through all the dust jackets encasing the stories aimed at people our age. I’m not the only one feeling the evil thrown at me all the time.
“Be the change you want to see in the world.” Kind of a cheesy quote, once you’ve heard it enough times. But it’s also a convicting one. If we want something different, let’s make it.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Philippians 4:8
What we read shapes what we think and God tells us exactly what kind of thing we’re supposed to be thinking. It’s not the kind of thing given to us from media (including books) on a regular basis.
So why don’t we start creating our own books to read? Clean books. True books. God-honoring books.
Don’t get me wrong - it’s going to be a long process. I hear it’s a lot of work to get a book published and it won’t happen overnight.
But will you work with me? All of you who desperately want to see their name on the spine of a story, will you join me in changing what’s given to young readers everywhere?
The only way to do that is to write. Pick up your pen, open your laptop, put ink in your quill. Work on your craft. Work bit by bit. Day by day. And maybe, someday, we’ll see our names there, in little letters, below a title we worked so hard to create. And when our brothers and sisters in Christ open the story we brought into the world, they’ll read new things. Encouraging things. Hard things. But good things.
It’s not going to be easy. But that’s kind of the point, isn’t it? We want good things to read. Let’s go make them.
-Kira

2 comments:

  1. This is so inspiring! The books I am currently writing won't have Christianity in them, sadly, but I am trying to get morals into them that God gave us. I am also trying to have it gripping without all the, well, sexy stuff that is always in teen fiction. I am trying to have an innocent romance, but those are so rare in books now... where have we gone wrong? Anyway, thank you for this post. It is truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it Amelia. :) I wasn't trying to say that we need to write obviously "Christian" books. Clean books that don't mention God can still make a big difference and potentially reach more people. I'm so glad that you're working on this and trying to make it both clean and good. Happy writing ;D

      Delete